The National Educational Testing Bureau of University Grants Commission (UGC) conducts National Eligibility Test (NET) for Indian nationals in order to ensure minimum standards for the entrants in the teaching profession and research.
The tests are conducted twice in a year generally in the months of June and December. For candidates who desire to pursue research, the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) is available for five years subject to fulfilment of certain conditions.
The JRFs are awarded to the meritorious candidates from among the candidates qualifying for eligibility for Assistant Professor in the NET.
JRFs are available only to the candidates who opt for it in their application forms.
Name of the post
- Assistant Professor NET: for appointment as Assistant Professor
- JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) NET: for appointment as Assistant Professor and also receive fellowship from UGC
Important Dates for National Eligibility Test (NET) December 2013 (Dates Extended!!)
- Last date for Applying Online & generation of filled Bank Challan for Fee: Monday; November 04, 2013
- Last date of submission of Fee through online generated Bank Challan, at any branch of State Bank of India (SBI): Saturday; November 09, 2013
- Last date of taking printout of Application Form,Attendance Slip and Admit Card from UGC website (www.ugcnetonline.in): Tuesday; November 12, 2013
- Last date for receiving the printout of online Application Form (one copy) and Attendance Slip (one copy) at the respective Coordinating University opted by the candidate (with fee receipt & category certificate(s) ): Saturday; November 16, 2013
- Date of Written Test: Sunday; December 29, 2013
Take printout of Online Application Form & Attendance Slip and submit one copy of both the documents at the respective Coordinating University/college (opted by the candidate) with fee receipt & category certificate(s)
JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
Candidates qualifying for the award of Junior Research Fellowship will be eligible to receive fellowship of UGC under various schemes, subject to their finding placement in universities/IITs/institutions. The validity period of the offer is two years w.e.f. the date of issue of JRF Award Letter. However, in case the candidates who have already joined M.Phil/Ph.D., the date of commencement of fellowship shall be from the date of declaration of NET result or date of their joining, whichever is later
Syllabus of Test:
All questions of Paper-II and Paper-III will be compulsory, covering entire syllabus (including all electives, without options). Syllabi for all NET subjects can be downloaded from the UGC Website www.ugc.ac.in and are also available in the libraries of all Indian Universities. UGC will not send the syllabus to individual candidates.
Eligibility Criteria for National Eligibility Test (NET) December 2013
- Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognised by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this Test. The Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with disability (PWD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who have appeared OR will be appearing at the qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited OR candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this Test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of JRF/Assistant Professor eligibility only after they have passed their Master’s degree examination or equivalent with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of SC/ST/PWD (Persons with disability) category candidates). Such candidates must complete their P.G. degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September, 1991 (irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e., from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post-graduation only. The candidates whose post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects in item No. 9, may appear in a related subject.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy layer)/PWD category are required to submit attested copy of the category Certificate along with online printout of their Application Forms (obtained while applying on-line). Other candidates are not required to submit any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility along with printout of their Application Form. Therefore, the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the Commission at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
- Candidates having post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/Institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi. (www.aiuweb.org)
- NET Assistant Professor Only: Minimum 19 years, no upper age limit
- NET JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) : Minimum 19 years; maximum 28 years
EXEMPTION (ELIGIBILITY FOR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR)
- NET/SLET/SET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/ Colleges/Institutions. Provided however, that candidates, who are or have been awarded a Ph. D. Degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of Ph.D. Degree) Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the requirement of the minimum eligibility condition of NET/SLET/SET for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities/ Colleges/ Institutions.
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
- For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
PROCEDURE & CRITERIA FOR DECLARATION OF RESULT:
This will comprise of following steps:
Step I: Minimum marks to be obtained in NET for considering a candidate for the award of JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor:
The candidates are required to obtain following minimum marks separately in Paper-I, Paper-II and Paper-III as given below:
|First||I||100||1¼ Hours (09.30 am to 10.45 am)|
|First||II||100||1¼ Hours (10.45 am to 12.00 noon)|
|Second||III||150||2½ Hours (01.30 pm to 04.00 pm)|
The candidates are required to obtain minimum marks separately in Paper-I, Paper-II and Paper-III as given below:
|Category||Minimum Qualifying Marks|
|Paper – I||Paper – II||Paper III|
|General||40||40||75 (50 %)|
|OBC (NCL)||35||35||67.5 (45%) rounded off to 68|
|PH/ VH/ SC/ ST||35||35||60 (40 %)|
Step II: Amongst those candidates who have cleared step I, a merit list will be prepared subject-wise and category-wise using the aggregate marks of all the three papers secured by such candidates.
Step III: Top 15% candidates (for each subject and category), from the merit list mentioned under step II, will be declared NET qualified for eligibility for Assistant Professor only.
Step IV: A separate merit list for the award of JRF will be prepared from amongst the NET qualified candidates figuring in the merit list prepared under step III.
It may be noted that the above qualifying criteria decided by UGC is final and binding.
In case of any discrepancy found in the English and Hindi versions, the questions in English version shall be taken as final
How to Apply for National Eligibility Test (NET) December 2013 (Applications Have to be Submitted Online)
STEPS FOR SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
i) Candidate seeking admission to the Test (UGC-NET, December 2013) must apply online (i.e. www.ugcnetonline.in OR through a link available on the UGC website: www.ugc.ac.in).
ii) Before applying Online, the candidates must possess the Scanned passport size photograph in JPEG format of less than 300 kb.
iii) After filling all the details for applying online for NET, the computer will automatically generate your ‘Bank Challan’ indicating your details therein A print out of this Bank Challan may be taken by the candidate for payment through cash, on the next working day (after generating the challan from www.ugcnetonline.in) at any branch of State Bank of India (SBI) alongwith bank charges (commission) of Rs.20/-
iv) Two days after the payment of fee at SBI through filled Bank Challan, the candidate is required to check the status of fee payment at UGC website ( www.ugcnetonline.in ) and if the status is ‘OK’ the candidate will be able to take the printout of online Application Form (one copy), Attendance Slip (one copy) and Admission Card (one copy) on separate A-4 size papers.
v) SC/ST/PWD candidates and candidates belonging to OBC (non-creamy layer) (as per the Central list of OBC available on website :www.ncbc.nic.in ) must enclose the attested copy of certificate for the same.
vi) Candidates seeking age relaxation must enclose the certificate of educational qualification/research experience entitling the candidates for age relaxation. (for details, please see item no. 4).
vii) The Application (consisting of one copy of printout of online application form and one copy of Attendance Slip) along with bank challan and other required documents (as mentioned in item No. 13) must reach the Registrar/Principal of the Coordinating University/College on or before Nov 09 2013.
viii) The candidates should retain the print out of online Admission card with them and will bring it on the day of examination after affixing the identical passport size photograph. The photograph must be signed across by the candidate after affixing, so that a part of the signature spreads over the Admit Card. Besides, it should be duly attested by the Head of the University Department/ Principal of the College/ class-I Gazetted officer.
ix) It may be noted that no Admission Card will be issued by the respective NET Coordinating Universities/Colleges. Candidates are requested to ascertain their venue of the test/seating arrangement from the website of the respective NET Coordinating University/College and note it in their printout of online Admission Card at least 10 days before the Test, i.e. upto 19th December, 2013.
x) The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card also along with their printout of online Admission Card on the day of examination.
xi) It may be pointed out that noting of seating arrangement/venue of test from the website of respective NET Coordinating Universities/Colleges will be the sole responsibility of candidate only. The NET Coordinating Universities/ Colleges will not inform to the candidate separately regarding the seating arrangement/Venue of Test.
xii) Application received after Nov 09 2013 at the NET Coordinating Universities/ Colleges will not be considered.
xiii) Before applying Online, candidates are advised to go through detailed notification available on UGC website (i.e. www.ugcnetonline.in OR through a link available on the UGC website: www.ugc.ac.in ). Please note that Fee submitted through any other mode like Money Order, Demand Draft, IPO etc. will be summarily rejected.
xiv) The envelope containing the Application Form should be superscribed “UGC NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY TEST FOR JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AND ELIGIBILITY FOR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, DECEMBER, 2013”.
xv) The candidates must affix their recent identical passport size photographs, at the places indicated, on the printout of Online Application Form and Attendance Slip must sign across the photograph after it is affixed so that a part of the signature spreads over the Application Form and Attendance Slip beyond the photograph. Besides, it should be duly attested by the Head of the University Department/ Principal of the College/Class-I Gazetted Officer.
xvi) In order to avoid last minute rush, the candidates are advised to apply early enough. UGC will not be responsible for network problems or any other problem of this nature in submission of online application during last days.
The application fees to be paid by SC/ ST/ PH/ VH candidate is Rs 110, for OBC candidate is Rs 225 and for General candidate is Rs 450.
- Before applying Online, the candidates must possess the following: (i) Scanned passport size photograph in JPEG format of less than 300 kb.
- Candidate seeking admission to the Test must apply online through a link available on the UGC website: http://ugcnetonline.in/
- After successful submission, the candidate should take printout of online Application Form (two copies), Attendance Slip (one copy), and Admission Card (one copy) on separate A-4 size papers.
- The envelope containing the Application Form should be super scribed “UGC NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY TEST FOR JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AND ELIGIBILITY FOR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, December 2013”.
Mode Of Payment:
- For General candidates, the examination fee is Rs.450/-; for Other Backward Classes (Non-creamy layer, as per the Central list of OBC available on website: www.ncbc.nic.in ), the fee is Rs. 225/- and for SC/ST/PWD candidates, it is Rs. 110/-
- After filling all the details for applying online for NET, the computer will automatically generate your ‘Bank Challan’ indicating your details therein. A print out of this Bank Challan may be taken by the candidate for payment through cash, on the next working day (after generating the challan from www.ugcnetonline.in) at any branch of State Bank of India (SBI) alongwith bank charges (commission) of Rs.20/-
- Two days after the payment of fee at SBI through filled Bank Challan, the candidate is required to check the status of fee payment at UGC website (www.ugcnetonline.in) and if the status is ‘OK’ the candidate will be able to take the printout of online Application Form (one copy), Attendance Slip (one copy) and Admission Card (one copy) on separate A-4 size papers.
- The candidate has to attach the UGC copy of the challan with the printout of online Application Form which he/she has to submit to the Registrar/Principal of UGC-NET Coordinating Institution opted by the candidate.
- Please note that fee submitted by any other mode like money order, demand draft, IPO etc. will be rejected. Fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
ENCLOSURES TO BE SENT WITH THE APPLICATION :
The candidates should send the following documents with printout on separate A-4 size papers of their online Application Form (one copy) and Attendance Slip (one copy) :-
i) Copy of Bank Challan (UGC copy).
ii) Attested copies of SC/ST/Persons with Disability (PWD)/ OBC (Non creamy layer) certificates, in case applicable.
iii) Certificate of educational qualification/research experience, in case applicable, entitling the candidate for age relaxation, duly attested by a Gazetted Officer.
- The candidates must read the conditions of eligibility as given at item no. 3 carefully and must satisfy themselves regarding their eligibility for the Test before filling the online application and submitting the printout of Online Application Form.
- It may be noted that candidates will not be issued the Admission Card by the respective NET Coordinating Institutions. Candidates should note that their candidature is strictly provisional. The mere fact that Admission Card has been issued at the time of online registration and the candidate is allowed to appear in the test shall not imply that the Commission has finally accepted his/her candidature.
- The Application (consisting of one copy of printout of online application form and one copy of Attendance Slip) along with bank challan and other required documents (as mentioned in item No. 13) must reach the Registrar/Principal of the NET Coordinating Institution on or before November 16, 2013.
- The candidates are required to bring a photo identity card also along with their printout of online Admission Card on the day of examination.
- It may be pointed out that noting of seating arrangement/venue of test from the official website of respective NET Coordinating Institution will be the sole responsibility of candidate only. NET Coordinating Institution will not be responsible in this regard.
- UGC may change the NET Coordinating Institutions or date of examination without assigning any reason.
- Applications received after the last date will not be entertained.
- No TA will be paid to the candidates.
- Canvassing in any form will disqualify the candidate.
- Candidates should correspond only with their respective NET Coordinating Institution for Venue of test/seating arrangement or any other relevant information. UGC will not entertain any requests/queries in this regard.
- The use of calculators or Log Tables is not permitted. Mobile phones, pagers, electronic devices etc. are not allowed in the Examination Hall/Room.
- A candidate who does not appear in paper-I, will not be permitted to appear in paper-II and paper-III.
- Candidates will not be allowed to write any question from the Test Booklet on the Admission Card or on any other paper.
- Those candidates who are not able to find out their seating arrangement/ venue of Test from the website of the respective NET Coordinating Institution for appearing in the UGC-NET till 19th December, 2013, are advised to contact the office of Registrar/Principal/Co-ordinator of their UGC- NET Coordinating Institutions from 20th to 28th December, 2013.
- Candidates should ensure that the signatures appended and photographs pasted by them in all the places, viz., in their Application Form, Attendance Slip and Admission Card should be identical and there should be no variation of any kind.
- The candidates in their own interest are requested to retain a photocopy of the Application Form and Attendance Slip for their record.
- Applications submitted on any other format (including old UGC format) will not be accepted.
- Printout of online application sent directly to the UGC will not be accepted.
- Printout of online applications received after the last date (i.e. November 16, 2013) at the NET Coordinating Institutions will not be accepted.
- Submission of Online Application is mandatory. Hard copies submitted to the NET Coordinating Institutions without online submission, will not be accepted.
- Application Form must be complete in all respects as per the Notification.
- All incomplete Application Forms will be rejected.
- The marks of all the candidates will be uploaded on UGC website www.ugcnetonline.in soon after declaration of result. Besides this, UGC will not issue any mark sheet to qualified/non qualified candidates.
- The candidates having any grievances with regard to answer key(s) even after declaration of result of NET December, 2013, he/she may send a written request to the Head, UGC NET Bureau, South Campus University of Delhi, Benito Juarez Marg, New Delhi-110021 supporting his/her stand with standard books/literature. along with a Demand Draft of Rs.5,000/- in favour of Secretary, UGC within one month from the date of declaration of result of NET December, 2013 examination. The request(s) so received will be placed before the Expert Committee(s) for re-examination of the answer key(s). In case the answer key(s) is/are found to be incorrect, the UGC will process the result in the light of changed key(s) and qualify the additional candidates for JRF and/or eligibility for Assistant Professor. Also, the result of previously qualified candidates for JRF and/or eligibility for Assistant Professor shall remain unchanged.
- No candidate will be allowed to leave the examination hall/room before 11.30a.m. in the 1st session and 3.30 p.m. in the second session.
- The candidate shall have to return the original OMR Sheet of Paper I & II together and Paper-III to the Invigilator before leaving the examination hall/room. However, candidates are allowed to carry the Test Booklets of Paper-I, II and III along with duplicate copy (carbon less copy) of OMR Sheet on conclusion of examination.
- The detailed instructions for the candidates will be uploaded on the UGC website www.ugcnetonline.in or www.ugc.ac.in. during the last week of November, 2013. Candidates may please see the instructions regarding use of Test Booklets, OMR Sheet and Specimen copy of OMR Sheet from the UGC website. It may be noted that instructions to candidates will not be sent to the candidate by post.
- There are no negative marks for incorrect answers.
- The decision of the Commission shall be final in all matters.
- All legal disputes pertaining to this Test shall fall within the jurisdiction of Delhi Courts only.
CHECK LIST FOR FILLING THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM :
- Whether they fulfil the eligibility conditions for the Test as prescribed under the heading ‘CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY’ and ‘AGE LIMIT’.
- That they have filled their CATEGORY, viz., GEN/SC/ST/PWD/OBC (non-creamy layer), in the relevant column correctly.
- That they have filled their subject and NET Coordinating Institution and code in the relevant column correctly.
- That the Persons with Disability (PWD) candidates have filled the relevant column in the Online Application Form. Only PWD candidates have to fill this column and the others have to leave it blank.
- Whether they have signed the printout of Online Application Form, Admission Card and Attendance Slip.
- Whether they have enclosed the required documents with the Application Form before submission at the NET Coordinating Institution.
- Whether they have kept a copy of the submitted documents for their own record.
- The National level Test for determining the eligibility of candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowship/ Assistant Professor in science subjects (Chemical Sciences; Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean & Planetary Sciences; Life Sciences; Mathematical Sciences and Physical Sciences) is conducted jointly with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi. The candidates in these science subjects, desirous of availing UGC-JRF or obtaining eligibility for Assistant Professor in these subjects are advised to appear in the Joint CSIR-UGC Test for Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for Assistant Professor conducted by CSIR.
- The UGC-NET for JRF/eligibility for Assistant Professor will be held at the NET Coordinating Institutions specified in the list under item No. 10.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT CHANGE OF NET INSTITUTION WILL NOT BE ALLOWED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- It may be noted that no Admission Card will be issued by the respective NET Coordinating University/College. Candidates are requested to ascertain their venue of the test/seating arrangement from the website of the respective NET Coordinating University/College and note it in their printout of online Admission Card at least 10 days before the Test, i.e. upto 19th December, 2013
For more information, please visit http://ugcnetonline.in/notification.php