The official notification for Council of Scientific & Industrial Research & University Grants Commission (CSIR UGC) National Eligibility Test (NET) is out. The exam is scheduled to be held on December 18, 2016 (tentatively). The interested and eligible candidates can apply online by September 9, however, the last date to deposit the fee is September 8.
This exam is held for determining the eligibility of the Indian national candidates for the award of Junior Research Fellowships (JRF) NET and for determining eligibility for appointment of Lecturers (NET) in certain subject areas falling under the faculty of Science & Technology. The award of Junior Research Fellowship (NET) to the successful eligible candidates will depend on their finding admission/placement in a university/ national laboratory/ institution of higher learning and research, as applicable.
- Date of single MCQ examination tentatively on: December 18
Schedule for on-line application-
- Date of close of deposit of fee (at all stations): September 08
- Date of close of on-line submission of applications (at all stations): September 09
- Last date of receipt of duly completed hard copy of online application in the examination unit: September 16
- Last date of receipt of duly completed hard copy of online application in the examination unit (from remote areas): September 23
- Last date for receipt of written request for change of examination centre only on merit basis: October 14
- Tentative date of publication of list of candidates registered for test on CSIR, HRDG website: November 15
- Last date for accepting of representation about non-registration for this test: November 22
- Issue of e-Admission certificate to registered candidates: 1st week of December 2016
- M. Sc or equivalent degree/ Integrated BS-MS/BS-4 years/BE/BTech/BPharma/MBBS with at least 55% marks for general and OBC-Non Creamy layer candidates (Central list only as provided in National Commission for Backward Classes website www.ncbc.nic.in) and 50% for SC/ST, physically and Visually Handicapped candidates.
- Candidates enrolled for M.Sc or having completed 10+2+3 years of the above qualifying examination as on the closing date of online submission of application form, are also eligible to apply in the above subject under the Result Awaited (RA) category on the condition that they complete the qualifying degree with requisite percentage of marks within the validity period of two years to avail the fellowship from the effective date of award of fellowship.
- Such candidates will have to submit the attestation format (Given at the reverse of the application form) duly certified by the Head of Institute/Dean/Head of Department from where the candidate is appearing or has appeared.
- BSc (Hons) or equivalent degree holders or students enrolled in Integrated MS-PhD program with at least 55% marks for general and OBC (Non Creamy layer) candidates; 50% marks for SC/ST, physically and visually handicapped candidates are also eligible to apply. Candidates with bachelor’s degree will be eligible for CSIR fellowship only after getting registered/enrolled for PhD/Integrated PhD program within the validity period of two years.
- The eligibility for lectureship of NET qualified candidates will be subject to fulfilling the criteria laid down by UGC. PhD degree holders who have passed Master’s degree prior to 19th September 1991, with at least 50% marks are eligible to apply for Lectureship only.
- The candidates with the above qualification are advised to fill up their degree with percentage of marks in column No. 18 to 21, as applicable.
For JRF (NET): Maximum 28 years as on 01-07-2016 (upper age limit may be relaxed up to 5 years in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC(non creamy layer)/ Physically handicapped/Visually handicapped and female applicants).
For LS (NET): There is no upper age limit.
Scheme of Exam
The question paper shall be divided into three parts, (A, B & C) as per syllabus & Scheme of Exam.
- Part ‘A’ shall be common to all subjects. This part shall contain questions pertaining to General Aptitude with emphasis on logical reasoning, graphical analysis, analytical and numerical ability, quantitative comparison, series formation, puzzles etc.
- Part ‘B’ shall contain subject-related conventional Multiple Choice questions (MCQs), generally covering the topics given in the syllabus.
- Part ‘C’ shall contain higher value questions that may test the candidate’s knowledge of scientific concepts and/or application of the scientific concepts. The questions shall be of analytical nature where a candidate is expected to apply the scientific knowledge to arrive at the solution to the given scientific problem.
Syllabus & Scheme of Exam of single MCQ Paper can be seen here
- Negative marking for wrong answers, wherever required, shall be applicable as per subject wise scheme of Exam.
- If a question for any reason found wrong, the benefit of marks will be given to only those candidates who attempt the question. On review of representations by the subject experts, if it is found that along with the original answer key one more option(s) is correct then marks will be awarded to all those candidates who have attempted any one of the correct options.
The candidates applying for the test may deposit their examination fee, after verifying their eligibility, in any branch of the Indian Bank throughout the country by paying the application fee in cash through bank challan or through RTGS/NEFT.
- General: Rs 1,000
- OBC Non creamy layer: Rs 500
- SC/ST/Physically Handicapped (PH) or Visually Handicapped (VH): Rs 250
Candidates may deposit their fees through NEFT by giving particulars of the Indian Bank, as notified in the fee deposit challan.
OBC candidates whose caste is not listed in Central List (as available on National Commission for Backward Classes website www.ncbc.nic.in) and who are not covered under the provisions as applicable to OBC – Non Creamy Layer (NCL) candidates, shall be treated as General Category candidates for all purposes. Accordingly, OBC Candidates not belonging to OBC Non Creamy Layer shall indicate their category as ‘General’.
For other details, the candidates should visit the official notification, here:
- Teaching Faculty Job Notifications across India
- PhD/M.Phil Notifications
- JRF/SRF Notifications
- Scholarship/Fellowship Notifications