Taking cognisance of the fact that many colleges don’t even have websites in this era of information technology, the University Grants Commission (UGC), for the first time, has given a 15-day ultimatum to the colleges to upgrade their websites with all relevant details.
Whenever a student needs to get admitted, the first thing he/she does is to research the net about the institutions of choice for joining. Sadly, many of the institutions don’t have an updated website. Most of them don’t even display the relevant information which a student is looking for. According to UGC secretary S Sandhu, the colleges now need to give all the information related to admissions, availability of seats of various courses, the profiles of teachers, the output of research works, and placement profiles of students who have already graduated. “The UGC desires that for the benefit of the students who seek admission in your esteemed university/college and their parents, it would be appropriate that all relevant information regarding your institutions be displayed on its website,” a circular directing the colleges said.
Anuruoop Kumar, an undergraduate, said, “In the websites, students want to see the academic results or faculty details. In fact, we also want to check if the placements are good. However, colleges limit the websites just to boast of some facilities which we are not interested in; they are not giving any information on what we want. I hope the UGC diktat to colleges will be a boon to the students.”
Another student, Raj Deep, said the colleges think that the best institutions are only those which have good buildings and this is the reason when you check the college websites you don’t find anything except good views of the college buildings. However, it is time for the colleges to go beyond that and put up everything in detail.
WHAT WEBSITES NEED TO HAVE
* All info related to admission, procedure, and availability of seats of various courses
* Profile of teachers
* Calendar of activities
* Academic calendar
* Student-centric info including details about hostels and transport
* Research output
* Placement profile of passed out students
* Relevant approvals from statutory bodies
* Fee structure for each course along with other funds like institutions, development etc
* Details of students and grievance redressal mechanism
* Name of the nodal officer for students’ facilitation services
* Scholarship/free ship available in the institution
* Accreditation ranking of the institution
* Details of the departments which have been recognised as the centre of excellence by the statutory and funding bodies