Prime Minister’s Research Fellows to provide fellowship to B. Tech students from IITs and IISc
In the Union Budget 2018, Modi Government has announced a Prime Minister’s Research Fellows (PMRF) scheme in which they will select 1000 B.Tech students from top institutions from the country and provide them a Rs. 75,000 monthly fellowship in IITs and IISc. Announced by the Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley, the scheme is to fulfill the demands of funds and attract students to the field of research & development.
Also See : Latest Engineering Admissions 2018 and Entrance Exam updates
Here are all the things that you need to know about the PMRF scheme:
- A sum of Rs. 1800 crore has been allocated for the PMRF scheme.
- Students from premier institutes like IITs, NITs, IIITs, IISc, and other institutes can apply for the fellowship program.
- The eligibility criterion for the scheme includes a strong academic background, like a CGPA of 8 and above.
- The students who will be selected for the fellowship will be provided a fellowship worth of Rs. 75,000 per month for five years.
- The students, selected for the fellowship program, will include voluntary teaching in higher educational institutions for every few hours a week.
Professor Bhaskar Ramamurthi from IIT Madras said that this new initiative will attract a lot of students to pursue Ph.D. and benefit the country. This will give the students an opportunity to become faculty members.
Also See : Engineering College Admissions Notice 2018
According to the Economic Survey 2018-18, India’s spending on R&D is much lower as compared to other countries like US, China, Israel, and South Korea. Also, India’s spending has been stuck between 0.6 and 0.7 percent from the past 20 years. It has been noted that as countries like China, Korea, and Japan start getting richer, they spend more money in R&D. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised to double the money on research and development. This will make sure that the Make in India initiative is effective. With the rapidly changing world, it is important to have cutting-edge research and technology.
For any query, candidates are requested to check the official website
Click here or more education news.
For more details, follow QuickNET ( Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter )