UGC NET Exam
UGC NET Exam is a “National Eligibility Test” (NET) conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on behalf of National Educational Testing Bureau of University Grants Commission (UGC). This test is taken to establish the eligibility of the candidate of Indian nationality, for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) award and lectureship. This exam has be designed to attain a level of minimum standards in the field of research and the profession of teaching.
Next UGC NET Exam will be conducted in November 2017 and June 2018. More than 5 lakhs students appear for UGC NET Exam.
Scope & Career Prospects:
This exam is the first step to take towards a career in the field of lectureship and prospects in research.
- Eligibility for lectureship – All candidates of Indian nationality who qualify the NET, become eligible to apply for lectureship in all Indian institutes/colleges/universities.
- Qualifying UGC NET Exam does not guarantee a placement, but is more of a requirement to apply for a job in lectureship.
- A lecturer’s job description mainly includes imparting theoretical knowledge to their students in the subject/field of their expertise. UGC Regulations 2016 : Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.PHIL./PH.D Degrees
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) – The candidates qualifying the JRF exam of UGC NET also become eligible to undertake lectureship, and in addition they also become eligible to receive fellowships under different schemes. This is subject to the condition that the candidate has found himself a post in IITs, universities or other national level organisations. This award stays valid for a time period of two years from the date of issuance of the award letter. UGC Regulations 2016 : Minimum Qualifications for Appointment of Teachers and other Academic Staff [4th Amendment]
- Other Prospects – Apart from lectureship, other career prospects for the qualifying candidates are
- Research Scholar,
- Assistant Professor,
- Head of Department and etc.,
Career growth after this exam, highly depends on the qualifications and the individual ability in different fields of education, of the candidates.
A number of states in our country also conduct a similar test known as SLET (State Lecturer Eligibility Test), for recruitment in lectureship in those states.
Important Links for June 2017 NET Exam
- CBSE UGC NET: Paper I Preparation Tips
- Net Eligibility Criteria, Exemption
- Syllabus and Exam Pattern
- Latest NET Updates
- Check here to know more about PhD Regulations and latest News in academics
- UGC NET/JRF Exam Reference Books & Study Materials
- General Studies Study Techniques and Entrance Exam Preparation
- How to Improve Reading Comprehension Skills
- Reasoning Preparation Tips | Logical Reasoning
- English Preparation Tips for Competitive Exams